Bertie the Bellringer, the logo of the British Towns and Villages Website

British Towns and Villages Network

Rolleston Hall, a British Stately Home

Picture of Rolleston Hall

Rolleston Hall; The hall was restored in 1870 after a fire.  The estate was sold in the 1920's, the building was largely demolished in 1925, some remnants of the building were converted into dwellings.

The hall was restored in 1870 after a fire. The estate was sold in the 1920's, the building was largely demolished in 1925, some remnants of the building were converted into dwellings.

Details of Rolleston Hall

  Rolleston Hall  

(External Website if available.
Not all properties are open to the public)

 

1860 Owner

 Mosley Baronet 

 

1860 County

 Staffordshire 

 

Property exists today in some form ?

 No 

 

Go to location and local map

 

 

Historical notes about Rolleston Hall

The text published below was originally written, to accompany the image above, in the middle of the 19th Century during the reign of Queen Victoria. Be aware however we have made some minor alterations to both the content and its layout that hopefully makes it more readable by our users. We have also, in some cases, added content to bring the information up to date where new data has become available, we will continue to do this over time.

ROLLESTON HALL

Near Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire – Mosley, Baronet

 

Rolleston Hall is situated about a mile from Tutbury Castle. The site appears to have been occupied as a residence ever since the early part of the reign of King Henry the Third, but the present mansion is almost entirely new, the principal part of the former structure having been destroyed by fire in October, 1871.

The Civil War has left its stamp upon this place, for, on the 25th May, 1645, King Charles the First came with his army, under the command of Lord Loughborough, to Tutbury Castle, and some of the soldiers were quartered at Rolleston, under a certain Captain Symonds, who seems to have amused himself by taking notes of the coats of arms in the British Museum.

The estate formerly belonged to a family of the name of Rolleston, until it was bought from them by Sir Edward Mosley, Knight, Attorney-General for the Duchy of Lancaster, about the latter end of the seventeenth century, and upon the failure of issue of Sir Edward Mosley, Baronet, (representative of the senior line of the present family,) who married Catherine, daughter of William, Lord Grey of Wark, the title became extinct; and his widow marrying Charles, son and heir of Dudley, Lord North, he thereby became possessed of the Rolleston estate and manor, which she had in jointure, and was by special writ summoned to Parliament by the title of Lord North and Grey of Rolleston, in the twenty-fifth year of King Charles the Second.

The descent of the family is as follows:-

  • EDWARD MOSLEY, Esq./. of Houghead, in the county of Lancaster, married Margaret, daughter of Alexander Elcock, Esq., of Hilgate, Cheshire, and had three sons, of whom the youngest,
  • ANTHONY MOSLEY, Esq., of Ancoats, Lancashire, married Anne, daughter and co-heiress of Ralph Lowe, Esq., of Mile End, in Cheshire, and had a large family, of whom the eldest son,
  • NICHOLAS MOSLEY, Esq., of Ancoats, married Jane, daughter of John Lever, Esq., of Alkrington, in Lancashire, and was succeeded by his son,
  • OSWALD MOSLEY, Esq., of Ancoats, and Rolleston, in Staffordshire, who married Mary, daughter of Joseph Yates, Esq., of Stanley House, near Blackburn, and dying in advanced age in 1726, left issue of whom
  • OSWALD MOSLEY, Esq., of Rolleston Hall and Ancoats, was Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1715, and was created a Baronet by George the First, June 18th, 1720. He married Elizabeth, daughter of John Thornhaugh, Esq., of Fenton, Nottinghamshire, and had issue two sons, of whom the elder,
  • SIR OSWALD MOSLEY, Baronet, died unmarried February 26th, 1757, and was followed by his brother,
  • THE REV SIR JOHN MOSLEY, who also died unmarried, when the estates devolved on his cousin,
  • JOHN PARKER MOSLEY, who then became of Rolleston Hall, and was created a Baronet, March 24th, 1781. He married, April 7th, 1760, Elizabeth, daughter of James Bayley, Esq., of Withington, Lancashire, and had
  • OSWALD MOSLEY, Esq., of Bolesworth Castle, Cheshire, born March 17th, 1761, married, in 1784, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. Thomas Tonman, Rector of Little Budworth, in Cheshire, and died in his father’s lifetime, July 27th, 1789, leaving, with several other children, an eldest son, who succeeded as second Baronet under the new creation, and so became
  • SIR OSWALD MOSLEY, Baronet, of Rolleston Hall and Ancoats, born March 27th, 1785, married January 31st, 1804, to Sophia Anne, second daughter of Sir Edward Every, Baronet, of Egginton, by whom he had three sons, of whom the second,
  • SIR TONMAN MOSLEY, Baronet, born July 19th, 1813, an officer in the Enniskillen Dragoons, married February 4th, 1847, Catherine, daughter of the Rev. John Wood, of Swanwick, Derbyshire, and had three sons, the eldest being
  • OSWALD MOSLEY, Esq.